Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spare Change

"Do you have any spare change?" That's been a commonly asked question these past few days. Don't worry, I've been answering you honestly; I have no cash or change. I do, however, have a credit card. I keep it in my leather wallet right next to my giftcard to the local coffeeshop and my medical card. If you have a moment of spare time or don't mind waiting I could run across the street to the ATM and withdraw some money for you. Well, actually that's not my bank's ATM so I'll be charged a service fee that I'd rather avoid. No, I don't have a cigarette that I could give you either. You see, I've avoided that addiction. I live a relatively healthy life. I go to the gym several times a week, I avoid the pizza option in my school's dining hall and go for the fruit instead, even if it is sometimes a little too mushy for my liking. I cried for you the other night though, I hope that helps. I realize that even if I bottled up those tears you couldn't pass them off as currency at the convenience store. My now damp pillowcase probably won't satisfy your hunger. The folks at the place I'm staying will take it away and bring me a fresh one soon anyway.

The truth is, I avoid you on the street like a puddle; walk around you so as to not soil my shoes. I saw a lone, orange flower growing out of the sidewalk the other day and it reminded me of you. I contemplated plucking it to bring home and put in a glass of water so that it may wither in peace, but I left it there.


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment