Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kristen

Kristen Berry- 3/20/2012
This trip so far has truly been eye-opening. I can honestly say that the knowledge that I have gained here can only be experienced and learned in San Francisco. I came into this experience having zero knowledge about anything concerning LGBT issues; I grew up in a pretty homophobic atmosphere, so I never felt as though I could ask anything about it. This was not because my parents were unsupportive of the cause, they are supportive, it was just a topic that was not mentioned and my school environment was very unaccepting of people that were different than the stereotypical norms. I wanted to go from someone that knew nothing about the issues that LGBT people were facing besides mearly discrimination, to someone that was educated and inspired to take part in the action against these issues that they face. To be completely honest, all the things that we have been experiencing can be overwhelming for me because I do not know about everything and I feel hurt that people could be that mean to people they do not know or have known for a long time. This hit home as we talked with Jason yesterday and he mentioned that once he came out to his parents that he was gay and had AIDS they sort of shunned him. I just felt extremely lucky for the supportive parents that I do have, and how I would never want anyone or my child to feel that pain. We should be able to be who we are and not have to hide our true selves. So far I have learned how truly hard the LGBT community has been fighting to get the right to just be themselves, and that people need to learn compassion and acceptance. San Francisco has ignited a new flame in me to work harder and strive to make a difference with my life, even if it is in a small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment