Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Megan

3.20.12
Upon my arrival to San Francisco, I had very unique expectations of what I was going to encounter. A 60’s songs about wearing flowers in your hair only encouraged me to see an idealistic view of a city full of historical references of being a haven of rebels and outcasts.
This city has indeed meet my expectations, actually, far exceeded them thus far.
I did not find flowers in anyone’s hair, but I have met gentle people here. I saw a gay couple holding hands at a coffee shop, and I heard poetry from a man on the streets. I met a man who fought for his life living with AIDS. I even met a Buddhist nun, who gave me a Hershey kiss after showing me the dharma.
I am mostly trying to sort through all my emotions at this moment. I have felt a bit angry and often times frustrated with the information that is being presented before me. I can only see the statistics of hate and oppression that have made San Francisco fight for their rights. It was never handed over. The queer in San Francisco have fought for more than their “gay Mecca”, they died for it.
I don’t understand why the rejected gay youth flocks to San Francisco, only to find themselves on the streets, only to find that the Castro may be one of the only places where they are celebrated for their identity as human beings. What is it so radical to love someone of the same sex?
I figured this trip would raise these questions, however, now I have a face to these issues. I have met the face of AIDS, suffering, oppression and violence because I have heard a testimony of the city.
I have found the organizations in the community are fighting strong for equality. It is empowering. I hope to bring this back to Minnesota with me.
If there is any way I could sum up my first blog entry, it would be by saying a few rambling last thoughts.
1. I am glad to be uncomfortable with the way society constructed gender
2. Identity is not fixed
3. I don’t find rebellion in this cause, I only find a struggle for justice and equality
4. I wish I could do more
5. I am so tired and overwhelmed
6. This is another reason why I study religion
7. I wonder when the whistles will stop blowing
8. I wonder when love can be free
9. I wonder how we can fight oppression when homelessness is a huge part
10. I wonder when queer youth will stop committing suicide because of bullies
11. I can’t really sleep tonight
12. I wonder what my grandparents will say when I tell them I met a nun in drag
13. I wonder what my dad will say when I tell him his idea of equal rights as a civil union is not equality
14. I wonder what I will say when I get back to Hamline and everyone has come back from spring break, and all I can say is “I wonder, I hope, I saw and I want to change… “Ah hey,
What are you doing over your spring break?


Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment